We’ve all been on the receiving end of IT support, yes, even we in IT support have to get support sometimes, and we know how frustrating it can be, but there are things you can do to make it a smoother experience when things go wrong with your laptop or computer.
So, here are 5 things you can do to keep your IT support on your side.
1. Turn it off and on again – Yes really. Before reaching out for IT support, try turning your device off and on again, this means, completely power the device of, wait a few seconds and then start it back up, not just shut the lid of your laptop and open it back up again! This actually fixes a large percentage of problems.
2. Give as much detail as you can – when first contacting IT support provide all and as much information about the problem as you can, it really helps your IT support get a quicker resolution for you. This might include things like error codes, what you were doing when it happened etc.
3. Be honest – we know when you are lying – if you’ve installed something, or changed a setting, fess up – we're not interested in whether you looked at your favourite porn site, or downloaded some dodgy software, we just want to know what you’ve done so we can get to a faster resolution for you. We don't need an in-depth analysis, just a simple, I think it might be related to a 'certain' website I was using, or, this software I've installed may not be quite what I thought.
4. Be patient and polite – so you’ve reported your problem and not had a response within 5 minutes… don’t worry, your problem will be looked at, it might be a common problem which is taking some time to fix, or requires 3rd party assistance.
5. Keep a backup – we don't tell you to keep a backup just for the fun of it, we know the fall out from losing all your data – trust us, we're in IT. There are lots of options here – Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud etc. Or simply a good old fashioned USB hard drive or stick.
There we have it, five simple steps to keeping your IT support on side, of course, providing copious amounts of tea and doughnuts will provide an even better service, but hey, we can't have it all!
Not got a IT support service, or fallen out with your current one? Use my tips above and you'll get off to a flying start with my team at Oxford IT Solutions – 01865 364995 or see www.oxforditsolutions.com